The Marcy SM-1050 Smith Machine not only comes with the main smith machine frame and sliding barbell section, but also a removable bench to increase the number of possible exercises.
Features of the adjustable bench
The adjustable bench that comes with the Marcy SM-1050 has been designed to be as flexible as possible when it comes to the various seat positions it can offer.
As the angle of the frame suggests, the bench can be adjusted to a decline position, as well as flat, incline and nearly vertical. This is possible through the raised sections along the main frame support that the bench can lock onto to prevent it slipping when you are pressing the weight.
As well as the padded back rest and seat, there is also a padded preacher curl pad that can be adjusted or completely removed depending on whether or not you find it getting in the way of your bench exercises.
Attached to the front of the preacher pad support is a leg developer station that can be used for both leg extensions and standing hamstring curls. The padded rollers help reduce any discomfort from the weight pressing against your calf muscles or shins.
As with the main barbell in the Marcy SM-1050 Smith Machine, the leg developer gets its resistance from the weight loaded on a weight peg.
This has been designed to angle slightly upwards and a locking collar supplied to prevent the weight plates sliding off during the exercise.
Design features of the Marcy SM-1050 Smith Machine
The first thing you may notice about this particular smith machine is that the bars that the barbell slide up and down don’t reach all the way to the base of the frame.
While the bench does offer a decline position, you may find that the smith bar doesn’t move through the full range of motion you are used when performing decline bench presses.
Aside from this there are many great design features with the Marcy SM-1050. Starting at the front of the frame you have two sets of bar supports.
While the lower set is fixed in position, above this you will find five different hole positions that the upper set of barbell rests can be adjusted to depending on your height and exercise.
The barbell itself has a crosshatch grip throughout the majority of the central section, helping to improve your grip on all exercises including close grip bench presses.
There is also the set of weight pegs for storing your weight plates securely when not in use.
Marcy SM-1050 Home Gym Smith Machine – Features Summary
- Fully adjustable weight bench, back pad with quick foot release for incline, decline, flat and military press exercises
- Dual leg developer for leg extension and leg curl exercises
- Preacher pad with adjustable height for bicep exercise
- Smith press bar with rotating bar catches with ultra glide bushings for smooth pressing action
- Oversized adjustable safety catchers
- Can accommodate standard 1″ or Olympic 2″ weight plates (not included with this machine)
- Free weight barbell pegs at the front with safety catches can accommodate separate 7ft barbell
- 2 Olympic weight plate storage posts keeps weight plates organized
- High density pads with boxed upholstery for comfortable workouts
The main safety feature is the rotating bar catches. To unrack the barbell you need to press the bar up to lift it out of the locked position and rotate the bar towards the back of the Marcy SM-1050. This will unlock the weight and allow you to perform the full range of movement for your exercise.
When you finish your repetitions or the weight becomes too heavy to fully complete another rep, you can simply rotate the bar back towards the front of the smith machine to lock the bar in position again.
With the bench being separate from the main smith machine, this means you can always slide it out of the way to use the front barbell support pegs for holding a free weight barbell for squats exercises.
If you are looking at buying a free weight barbell to accompany the Marcy SM-1050 smith machine, it must be a 7ft version due to the width of the frame.
- Maximum User Weight (for Bench): 136kg / 300lbs / 21.4 Stone
- Maximum Weight Load on Smith Press Bar and free weight pegs: 136kg / 300lbs / 21.4 Stone
- Maximum Weight Load on leg Developer: 45kg / 100lbs / 7 Stone
- Assembled Dimensions: Length: 208cm (82″) x Width: 200cm (79″) x Height: 211cm (83″)
- Box 1 Dimensions: L: 83.5″ x W: 17.5″ x H: 7″ (52 kg)
- Box 2 Dimensions: L: 51.5″ x W: 19″ x H: 7.5″ (27 kg)
Exercises available when combined with weight set
- Chest: Incline, Flat, Decline Press
- Back: Smith Pull Ups, Bent Over Rows, Reverse Rows, Bodyweight Rows
- Shoulders: Shoulder Press, Upright Rows, Shrugs
- Triceps: Tricep Press, Bench Dips, Tricep Extensions
- Biceps: Preacher Curls, Barbell Curls, Smith Chin Ups
- Legs: Squats, Leg Extensions, Leg Curls, Deadlifts, Lunges