The Marcy SM-1000 smith machine comes complete with a free-standing and fully adjustable weights bench, which also features a leg developer to help isolate your quads and hamstrings.
One of the great benefits of the weights bench that accompanies the Marcy SM-1000 smith machine is that it stands independently of the main frame.
This provides a range of advantages including being able to perform a wide variety of dumbbell exercises, using the smith machine for squats, and positioning the bench so that the bar moves through the most natural range of motion for your height and body type.
All three of these points will help bring greater variety and intensity to your workouts compared to lifting free weights alone due to the increased confidence in the safety of lifting the heavier weights.
As well as being able to perform the different squat variations in the smith machine, having the leg developer attached to the front of the bench allows for better isolation of individual muscles.
Leg extensions (isolates quadriceps) and leg curls (isolates hamstrings) can each be performed depending on your position on the bench.
Adding these exercises before squats is effective if you are looking to pre-exhaust the leg muscles, while adding the exercise after squats allows you to focus more on the amount of weight lifted in the squat.
Marcy SM-1000 Home Gym – Features Summary
- Fully adjustable weight bench, back pad with quick foot release for incline, decline, flat and military press exercises
- Dual leg developer for leg extension and leg curl exercises
- Transport wheels on bench for quick movement
- Smith press bar with rotating bar catches with ultra glide bushings for smooth pressing action
- Oversized adjustable safety catchers
- Can accommodate standard 1″ or Olympic 2″ weight plates (not included with this machine)
- 3.5″ round and 1.5″x3″ heavy duty steel tube frame for durability
- 4-Olympic weight plate storage posts keeps weight plates organized
- High density pads with boxed upholstery for comfortable workouts
- Maximum User Weight (for Bench): 136kg / 300lbs / 21.4 Stone
- Maximum Weight Load on Smith Press Bar: 136kg / 300lbs / 21.4 Stone
- Maximum Weight Load on leg Developer: 45kg / 100lbs / 7 Stone
- 2 year parts warranty
Smith machine design
Whenever you are performing compound mass building exercises such as the bench press or the squat it’s always important to ensure you are as safe as possible throughout the lift.
If you are performing these exercises using a standard squat rack without a spotter, then it can be difficult to attempt lower rep sets to failure. This can be due to worrying about your strength running out at the lowest part of the exercise.
While a power cage is certainly an option, the Marcy SM-1000 smith machine keeps the bar moving through a fixed plane of motion, with many different locking positions along the vertical sections of the frame.
Where a power cage relies on you either dropping the weight onto safety rails or completing the rep, using the Marcy SM-1000 means you can rack the bar at almost any point throughout the lift.
To act in a similar way as the safety rails in a power cage or squat rack, rotating bar catches have been added to prevent the bar from moving below a certain point.
Despite the fact that the barbell moves along guide rails, the movement of the bar isn’t restricted due to the smooth pressing action provided by the ultra glide bushings.
One final design feature of the main smith machine worth mentioning is the weight plate storage pegs positioned on each side of the frame. These can be useful for keeping the weight plates easy to pick up as well as giving you the option to keep the different weight plate sizes separate.
Upper body exercises
Being provided with a good quality weights bench and barbell in the smith machine really does provide a wide range of workout options when combined with a dumbbell and weight plates set.
The following list provides a few examples:
- Incline bench press
- Flat bench press
- Shoulder press
- Barbell row
- Upright row
- Close grip bench press
- Seated concentration curls
- Dumbbell pullovers
- Overhead tricep extensions
- Seated side lateral raises
Lower body exercises
Aside from having a leg press or hack squat machine, the Marcy SM-1000 smith machine combined with a good quality dumbbell set will allow you to perform the majority of effective lower body exercises.
The following list provides a few examples:
- Dumbbell lunges
- Standing calf raises
- Seated calf raises
- Front squats
- Back squats
- Stiff legged deadlifts